As we emulate His perfect example our hands can become His hands, our eyes His eyes and our heart His heart. - President Uchtdorf

Sunday, November 17, 2013

THREE MONTHS NEXT WEEK

Talofa!

Wow NZL is so pretty! Driving on the opposite side of the road, completely different lifestyle than America, and everything is so expensive!
I'm still adjusting to the missionary life, I was struggling this week but my companion has been a big help to talk to when I'm in need of help. My companion's name is Elder Gaga from Malaela on Upolu!
Native Samoan. Oh my gosh I have learned a lot from him! I asked him to help me say things in Samoan and he has been able to teach me! His English is pretty good! I can usually understand what he is trying to say to me. We promised each other that we'd teach each other the language (me to him english, him to me Samoan) it's a struggle but I know with time it will get easier.

I have enjoyed the field! A lot of walking but it's been awesome talking with everyone. Everyone really likes talking to us. It's so nice both in English and Samoan. I can't for the life of me understand a word in Samoan because they speak with the K's. I'm usually just listening to my companion speak and then write down words that I don't understand and then have him tell me what that word is. SLOWLY BUT SURELY I WILL LEARN THIS LANGUAGE NOTHING IS GOING TO STOP ME!

This was week has been full of miracles. On Saturday Elder Gaga and I felt we needed to visit a member family in our area. We went to the house and the son (Sam) answered the door. He was speaking in Samoan and Elder Gaga basically talked to him the whole time. I caught a few words here and there but the one word that stood out was Papatisoga (Baptism). I wasn't sure why he said that so after we finished talking to Sam. I asked "So what did Sam say?" Elder Gaga replied " Sam's girlfriend wants to be Papatisoga, we have to come back later today and give the baptism lesson." I freaked out and hugged him  Elder Gaga looked at me when I hugged him and said " Elda don't hug me here you can hug me in the Flat" Me and him laughed and went on our way. We came back two times and no one was there. But third time, when we came back they were home.
When we entered the home, we sat and then conversed with the father of the family before we talked to the girlfriend. When she arrived she entered the room and I had to do a double take when she came in because I swear I had seen her before. Like it was from a dream!  Her name is Rona, she's afakasi (half Cook Island and half Samoan), she understands a little Samoan but mostly English. Most of the lesson we taught her was in English.  There was a long pause, and it was my turn to say something, I couldn't think of anything except committing her to Baptism.
I opened my mouth and said " Rona will you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized and prepare yourself to be baptized on December 7th?".......................
She said YES!!!!!!!  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I am so excited and guess who is baptizing her? I AM!!!!! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
I haven't even been here a week and I've got a Baptism!! AHHHHHHHHHHH
I can't wait!! We were led to that house for a reason and she was prepared by the Lord before we met her. The policy before being baptized you must attend church three times, she has been going for two months!!! Now we just have to teach her everything before the 7th!
SO EXCITED!!

 The field so awesome!
I've been out for almost THREE MONTHS!! Where did the Time go!!
LOVE YOU ALLL!! Thanks for the pictures!!!

Tofa soifua ma ia manuia.
Elder Wilson Matua

No comments:

Post a Comment

February 13, 2019 Today we dropped off our baby and 3rd missionary to the Provo MTC. It has been a day of mixed emotions.  We ...