As we emulate His perfect example our hands can become His hands, our eyes His eyes and our heart His heart. - President Uchtdorf

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

My companion, Elder Burns, returns home this week and I will miss him greatly. We've enjoyed some great experiences together and I wish him all the best. See you in 7 months brother. KEEP THE FAITH!! I'm not sure if I will be transferred but I hope I can stay in Papatoetoe a while longer.

I wish to relay my email by way of some lessons I've learned this past transfer. One being the importance of being humble and reaping the abundant blessings of the Spirit. I have learned so much more about Heavenly Father and his ways. The message I wish to relay at this time is one of a fisherman who sought to catch a fish. So here we go.

There once was a fisherman who had a plan. The plan was to catch a fish when ever he possibly could. So he called his friend and relayed his plan to him. His friend stated that he would accompany him in his plan. With the plan set in stone and a mind centered on the goal, the fisherman began to prepare his lures. Fine tuning them and refining them to make them appealing to the fish. In his pursuit he came to realize "If I have the best lures that means that I need the best line". He did as he thought and found the best line. In finishing his preparations, the day had come to put his plan into action to achieve his goal.
 And so the journey began to travel to a pre-determined destination. Upon arrival the fisherman gathered his thoughts to decide which spot on the river would be best. After a while he made his decision. With the best line and best lure the first cast was thrown to a nearby eddy. "Patience is key." his friend exclaimed. And so he waited, and waited, and waited until suddenly a fish had risen from the bottom of the river. The fish waded around the lure but did not find it appealing and swam away. "Patience is key." the friend exclaimed again. And again he waited. Another fish came, waded around the lure but swam away.
Flustered the fisherman exclaimed, Why won't they bite? Did I not do all I needed? I bought and prepared all the essentials but nothing is working!" In reply to the disheartened fisherman, his friend yet again gave the same guidance, "Patience is key." So for the last and hopefully the last and final time to catch a fish, he cast again and waited. He waited and waited and waited and when he was about to call it a day, he snagged a fish.

THE LESSON: That friend was Christ encouraging us (fisherman) to never give up on the plans (Gospel). We are made to catch fish (or save a soul) and it is according to our lures (Testimony) and line (recognizing the Spirit) that allows catching (saving) possible. I've learned that those fish are the investigators, less-actives, recent converts, and in-actives. At times they don't see what the lures and lines can do for them. What once had seemed so appealing has somehow become dull and mundane and they swim away. That is why we are to be missionaries even if we don't have a BADGE.  They need those lures and lines to keep them hooked in the Gospel. That is OUR responsibility to cast our lines and make the lures sure to bring as many fish as we can into our basket. To have our Heavenly Father say "... thou shalt be made strong, even unto the sitting down in the place which I have prepared in the mansions of my Father."-(Ether 12:37) I've learned so much of the great importance of the Spirit in this work, especially the worth of souls.

I love this work and I hope you all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

February 13, 2019 Today we dropped off our baby and 3rd missionary to the Provo MTC. It has been a day of mixed emotions.  We ...